Scripts may be submitted by agents on behalf of their clients. We accept these submissions throughout the year, and will read them as quickly as we are able to. However, we are a small department and receive a great many of scripts, so we appreciate your patience.
Geva Theatre Center accepts submissions of full-length plays, translations and adaptations for production on our stages and for the following programs:
Festival of New Theatre
Plays in Progress
We are looking for bold, theatrical voices and are passionate about supporting the craft of both emerging and established writers in service of our commitment to developing new work for the American theatre.
The purpose and power of the theatrical event has always been to come together in the theatre and discover a new understanding of ourselves. By developing and producing work that explores and celebrates the human experience, we engage in a dialogue about what it means to be human, what it means to be an American and what it means to be a global citizen, in the 21st century.
We try to stay open to a diversity of aesthetic, topic and approach, but plays that we are interested in frequently share some of the following characteristics:
- Strength and depth of writing which would indicate that this is not the first draft of the play
- Strong, interesting characters that offer actors something to explore, and rich relationships between the characters onstage
- A compelling narrative which presents a new story, or a new take on a familiar tale
- Smart, compelling use of language
- Action which befits a story told onstage, rather than on film or in print