Geva Theatre Center accepts submissions of full-length plays, translations and adaptations for production on our stages and for the following programs:
We are looking for bold, theatrical voices and are passionate about supporting the craft of both emerging and established writers in service of our commitment to developing new work for the American theatre.
The purpose and power of the theatrical event has always been to come together in the theatre and discover a new understanding of ourselves. By developing and producing work that explores and celebrates the human experience, we engage in a dialogue about what it means to be human, what it means to be an American and what it means to be a global citizen, in the 21st century.
We try to stay open to a diversity of aesthetic, topic and approach, but plays that we are interested in frequently share some of the following characteristics:
- Strength and depth of writing which would indicate that this is not the first draft of the play
- Strong, interesting characters that offer actors something to explore, and rich relationships between the characters onstage
- A compelling narrative which presents a new story, or a new take on a familiar tale
- Smart, compelling use of language
- Action which befits a story told onstage, rather than on film or in print
If you are a writer from the six-county area of Greater Rochester (Monroe, Wayne, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, and Genesee counties), you are encouraged to submit scripts for the Regional Writers Showcase or 2 Pages/2 Voices.
Regional Writers Showcase
Showcase Dates: Monday, April 29 and Monday, May 6, 2019
Submission Window: January 1 - Tuesday, January 31, 2019
Selected Writers Notified By: Friday, April 5, 2019 (selectees will receive a phone call)
In collaboration with Writers & Books
Writers of all levels of experience are invited to submit plays for this event, featuring script-in-hand concert readings with professional actors and directors at Geva Theatre Center’s Fielding Stage.
General guidelines are as follows:
- Submissions must include clear contact information: name, address, phone number and email (if available).
- Musicals will not be accepted.
- Script must be submitted in its entirety.
- All plays should be typed with each page numbered.
- Writers may submit up to two plays for consideration.
- Plays that have been submitted for consideration in previous years may be submitted, if there has been significant work done on the script since the last submission.
- There are no restrictions on length or content.