Geva Theatre Center accepts submissions of full-length plays, translations and adaptations for production on our stages and for the following programs:
We are looking for bold, theatrical voices and are passionate about supporting the craft of both emerging and established writers in service of our commitment to developing new work for the American theatre.
The purpose and power of the theatrical event has always been to come together in the theatre and discover a new understanding of ourselves. By developing and producing work that explores and celebrates the human experience, we engage in a dialogue about what it means to be human, what it means to be an American and what it means to be a global citizen, in the 21st century.
We try to stay open to a diversity of aesthetic, topic and approach, but plays that we are interested in frequently share some of the following characteristics:
- Strength and depth of writing which would indicate that this is not the first draft of the play
- Strong, interesting characters that offer actors something to explore, and rich relationships between the characters onstage
- A compelling narrative which presents a new story, or a new take on a familiar tale
- Smart, compelling use of language
- Action which befits a story told onstage, rather than on film or in print
The following guidelines apply to submissions for our Festival of New Theatre, Plays in Progress and general production consideration.
Playwrights with professional representation may have their agents send full manuscripts at any time. Please note that lawyers and law firms do not qualify as professional representation.
To best accommodate our schedule of new play activities, we have an Open Submissions Window, during which playwrights who are not working with an agent may send a submission inquiry. The dates of this year’s window are January 1 to April 30, 2017.
Looking for other places to submit your play before the next Inquiry Window? The blog Play Submissions Helper keeps an updated list of new play deadlines.
Before submitting a play for consideration, please look at our production history and at the lists of new plays we have commissioned or produced, as an indication of the kind of work we are likely to produce.
Please do not send us the first draft of a play. Due to the number of scripts we receive, we can only read any play one time, so make sure you are sending us your best work. Plays for consideration in our play development series must not have had more than one production at another theatre.
To have your play considered, submit the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, with your full contact information.
- Your creative resume and a development or production history of this play. If the play has had other developmental readings or productions, they must be included here.
- A description of this play, no more than ½ page. This need not be a summary of the plot – we welcome a description of the play’s world, characters and conflict, and your reasons for writing it.
- A complete list of characters.
- A ten-page dialogue sample. Pages do not need to come from the beginning of your text but must be sequential.
After reviewing your query, we will let you know whether or not we wish to read the entire script. Agents submitting plays should expect a response within 6-12 months.